Essay from Mason Phan
Yellow belt to Yellow belt 1 Stripe

As a Vovinam Assistant Instructor testing to earn a stripe onto my yellow belt, I want to be able to spread the ideas of Vovinam discipline, philosophy, and martial arts techniques and try to better the lives of others. In doing so, other people can learn to respect themselves, respect others, respect nature, and respect their country. I have shown my ability to lead other peers in my class and spread the teachings of Vovinam Việt Võ Đạo.

As part of my responsibilities as a yellow belt, I must be able to take control of a class and be able to teach. I believe I can do that and keep everyone respectful and disciplined. Each day, I make it a personal goal to be more mature and responsible to prove my credibility to be a yellow belt. Being in Vovinam for over four years, I have practiced diligently, learning many new techniques and forms that I practice each day along with previous teachings to make sure I get better each time and to also make sure that I can remember everything. I have always wanted to help other people defend themselves by passing on the martial arts teachings of Vovinam. I am always willing to get out and help people to the best of my abilities through my teachings from school and Vovinam.

In seeing that Vovinam and Master Cam Binh have changed my life in helping me value the worth of all that I take for granted and help me appreciate all that I have, I want to try to instill these teachings into others. I will do what I can to show others what is right and hope that they, too, pass the knowledge on to more people. As a Vovinam instructor, I will try to convince others to use fewer resources and not to waste so many things while people struggling in third-world countries are in poverty and are currently dying. By saving the environment, together, we can make life better for more people.
Though trying to better the world and my nation is a great feat, it is too big of a dream to possibly accomplish. In order to achieve anything, I would have to start out small and get others to help create a better world for people by passing on the martial arts and philosophy of Vovinam. Even now, I continue every day to try to get my friends and family and peers at Vovinam to live a better, more respectful life. As I have learned in my four years at Vovinam, to get others to learn something new, you need a foundation to build upon. With prior knowledge and the will to improve, people can learn to live a happier, more peaceful, and a more humble life.

I have shown countless times that I am able to lead and follow directions of my peers and I have shown the responsibility that is required from a Vovinam instructor. I am willing and ready to go out each day and to make it my goal to improve the life of at least one person by passing on the knowledge of the Vovinam philosophy. I am prepared to take on the responsibilities of an instructor to pass on the goals, martial arts teachings, and disciplines of Master Cam Binh as well as the Vietnamese culture and tradition.

Mason Phan
Vovinam San Jose